Monday, April 28, 2014

The Miracle of Giving Birth


We’ve heard the stories time and again, about moms saying that giving birth is the one experience they will never exchange for anything. That in seeing their child for the first time, they felt an overwhelming love for the baby, it was indescribable. I often scoffed at these statements, thinking that whoever said these were overemotional ninnies who cried at the drop of a pin.

Before my due date, I admit I was as excited about seeing my child for the first time, but I did not have the kind of overwhelming feeling of an impending miracle that other mom’s say they had on the week of their delivery. What I did while waiting for my daughter to be born was shop, online anyway. My hubby did not want me walking around that week, lest my water break in the middle of the store, or something. So I did my last purchases for the baby’s nursery online.
 
The day came when my water did break, and yes, I was at home. I called the hubby at work, we rushed to the hospital, and I still did not feel the kind of emotions moms said they felt on the day they gave birth. Was something wrong with me? I was then wheeled into the delivery room, and a few minutes later, I gave birth to a healthy, baby girl. I thought to myself as I closed my eyes when they took away my baby, will I ever really appreciate the miracle of giving birth?
 
Then they handed me my baby, I looked into her innocent face as they put her in my arms, and it was then that I felt it. With tears rolling down my face, I thought, yes motherhood is indeed a miracle.

0 comments:

Post a Comment